Renewable Energy
Solar Power
Wind Power
Biomass / Landfill
Hydro Electric power
Wave Power
Water
Rain Water Harvesting
Household Water Pollution
Constructed Wetlands & Reed beds
Perma-Culture in the Garden
Why Organic Gardening?
Vermicompost
Think Indigenous!
Waste
Why Recycle?
Recycling Agricultural Waste
Transport
Organic Lifestyle
Food
Interior
Household Products
Household Cosmetics
Entertainment

 



Planet Earth contains 320 million cubic miles of water, enough to cover the entire globe 1000 feet deep. We ourselves are 97% water when born and 75% water as adults. Yet water us a very scarce global resource. Oceans, lakes, streams and rivers contain 98% of Earth’s water. The remaining 2% is in the soil, the atmosphere, the bodies of living organisms or frozen in glaciers and ice caps. Only 0.02% of the Earth’s water is available for drinking. Millions of people do not have access to safe, clean drinking water.



Rainwater falls from the sky for free, by simply filtering it then storing it, you can water your garden or even pipe it straight into your home and use the rainwater to flush the toilet or do the laundry. Recycling your rainwater has many advantages, first being; its free, you can store as much as you want then reuse it how you want. Second is that rainwater is softer then tap water, which means that if you were to use the rainwater in you washing machine lime scale would take longer to appear. If you were using the water for your garden, then some plants respond better to rainwater than tap water.


We use 70% more water today than we did 40 years
By reducing our water usage we will:
Save money
Reduce the possibility of a drought, which will lead to a hosepipe ban.
Reduce the damage which is done to wildlife in wetlands, reservoir and rivers




DIY Rainwater Harvesting In Garden
No matter how much it rains we always seem to need more water for our plants and gardens. By collecting your rainwater in an underground water tank, you we have a constant supply of water. These rainwater harvesting systems can be connected straight into you existing irrigation system them will never have to worry about your plants and garden not being water when you're on holiday.

Once your system is setup there is no end to the uses of the water you save. You can connect a pressure washer to the tap outlet and use the rainwater to wash your car or even clean your patio.

Underground water tanks don't have to be sunk in ground; they can be installed under patios or under decking. All accessories such as water pumps, filters and fittings can still be installed



 

 

There are many ways in which householders can pollute waterways e.g. via the sink, toilet, from the washing machine, dishwashers or simply by dangerous disposal/application of chemicals directly onto soil or into waterways. In houses, wastewater from sinks and toilets for example, usually flows into either septic tanks or into municipal sewage treatment plants. Under optimal conditions bacteria break down the constituents in the wastewater and the clarified effluent is returned to the environment. However, many chemicals that are sold in the supermarket for toilet cleaning or other detergents can affect bacteria in the septic tank, leading to poor operation or even worse, the total cessation of performance by the tank. When this occurs, the dirty wastewater enters the chamber of the tank where it receives incomplete treatment. It then flows into the environment and may seep into the groundwater below or into surface water.

Natural processes have always cleaned water as it flowed through rivers, lakes, streams and wetlands. In the last few decades, eco-engineers have designed wetlands that mimic natural processes, for water quality improvement. Constructed wetlands such as reed beds are used across the world to improve the quality of point (direct discharge) and nonpoint (diffuse) sources of water pollution. Reed beds are used for water purification and are modelled on natural wetland systems. The can be applied to the treatment of domestic sewage typically in conjunction with septic tanks or other biological treatment systems. They are also beneficial for wildlife by developing a new habitat for wetland species of flora and fauna.